As many of you know, my latest book Timur’s Escape is set in the capital of the Ottoman Empire during the 17th Century (Present day Istanbul, Turkey). Helva is one of the oldest desserts in the history of Turkey and so I thought it would be wonderful to share my own recipe!
Tabi’s Summer Helva Recipe:
Butter, oil, flour, powdered sugar, chopped walnuts, chocolate chips, and Tahini paste.
1. Add oil to the pan
2. Stir in butter until melted (I said 3-4 tablespoons, but later added an entire stick of butter)
3. Add 1 cup sesame paste and 3 cups flour and stir it into the butter
4. Transfer to a bigger bowl and mix in 4 cups of sugar (less if you don’t like super sweet!)
5. Mix 1 or more cups of water in until it becomes a paste
6. Toss in your chopped walnuts and chocolate chips
7. Pour into a pan or mold and stick in the fridge overnight
8. Enjoy with a cup of coffee and a good book!
Come explore food in fiction! Don’t forget to follow my channel at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYqCy04azkdhUN9FWro9tHA
TABI SLICK is an award-winning author of paranormal and historical fantasy. Her works include: “Tompkin’s School: For The Extraordinarily Talented“, “Tompkin’s School: For the Dearly Departed“, the novella “Unforgivables“, and “Timur’s Escape“. When she’s not writing, she’s often found either researching or with her nose stuck in a book.